Thursday, October 9, 2008

'Til We Meet Again
Dan's Grandma Fail passed away this last Thursday and it's really got me thinking about things. She was very ill and it was her time to go, but it's always hard to lose a loved one. There were lots of sweet stories and remembrances shared by the grand kids and children. The Funeral was in Elmo, Utah and she was buried in Orangeville next to her husband Frederick Vaughn Fail. I just keep thinking about the great reunion she must be having with all her loved ones in Heaven.
I am so lucky! I still have all 4 of my Grandparents and 1 of my Greats left. This was Dan's last Grandparent to pass. He says it's a weird feeling to know that all his Grandparents are gone now-a little bit more lonely and a bit more on his own now. I rely so much on the testimonies and strength of my family- I mean- These Grandparents are the architects of my whole extended family! The cornerstones of my faith and everything I've been taught to believe in and shape my life after. Not only my belief in religion, but my ideals, expectations and what I need to do to be a good a valid person in general. It's kind of crazy (and disconcerting and not to mention heartbreaking) to think about them not being around to keep the family in check and to teach me and lead by their examples.


I've been thinking a little bit about what I would like my farewell to be like and trying to think of what I would want my loved ones to remember about me. I have to say, it's kind of depressing. I am a sarcastic, hateful, pessimistic sour puss and I'm afraid that my family will be hard pressed to come up with good things to say about me. I once asked Dan what kind of candy I would be and the only thing he could say were Lemon Heads or Sour Patch Kids. Yeesh!


I guess it's a good thing that I have the rest of my life to improve and shape my family into what they should be. Funerals are basically of a tribute to the life you've led- to see all the people you've affected and loved. It's interesting ( and terrifying) to think about my life in the future- How will my children turn out? Will I teach them and lead them to live good and honest lives that will be a tribute to me as a person and as a Mother? Will I have close friends that will mourn my passing? What will be my accomplishments and contributions to society? Will my testimony and example be enough to shape an entire extended family? These thoughts are keeping me up at night. What kind of architect will I be? Will I be a good cornerstone for my children and grandchildren?


These are just a few of the random thoughts giving me heartburn lately. For all of her faults and flaws that I'm sure Dan's Grandma Fail had- She managed to create and maintain a wonderfully affectionate and giving family. They all have fantastic laughs and love to joke around-and are close with each other and the Gospel. and I landed one of her grandsons. (the best one I think:)


Maybe there is hope for me and my posterity yet?

Our loving mother, grandmother, sister, and friend Enid Larue Fail returned to be with her beloved Vaughn and her Father in heaven on Oct. 2, 2008 in Price, Utah.
She was born on Sept. 23, 1925 in Elmo, Utah to Thomas Lamar and Nettie Jane (Oveson) Davis. She married Fredrick Vaughn Fail on May 2, 1946. Marriage solemnized in the Manti LDS Temple on June 17, 1967.
Enid was raised on South Flat near Cleveland, Utah. She also lived in Elmo, Kenilworth, Orangeville, and Price. She was a wonderful mother and grandmother. You could always find her in the kitchen cooking for her family and she spent many hours working side by side with Vaughn on their farm in Elmo and in Joe's Valley.
Enid was a hard worker who lived a life of service to those around her. There was no hardship or sacrifice that she wouldn't make for her loved ones. One of the highlights of Vaughn and Enid's life was serving as temple workers at the Manti Temple. She also enjoyed many other church callings including service as a stake missionary. During the past few years, she has shown great courage as she faced the many challenges in her life. She has left behind a legacy of love. She will be deeply missed by all of those who knew her.
She was preceded in death by her husband and parents.
She is survived by her children Deanna (Larry) Gonzales, Logan, Utah, Vila (Bill) Jewkes, Price, Utah, Brad (Kalynn) Fail, Green River, Utah, Katie (Kenny) Woodruff, Sevierville, Tenn., two sisters, Margie White, Cleveland, Utah, and Leora Hansen, Elmo, Utah, grandchildren Ian (Jenny) Humes, Jeremy (Nicole) Humes, Heidi (Ryan) Hartley, Zac (Lindsay) Humes, Jimmy (Heidi) Jewkes, Danny (Hollie) Jewkes, Becca (Dan) Crane, Joe (Amy) Fail, Kaleb Fail, Greg Woodruff, Krissa (Scott) Reid, Tyler Woodruff, Jessie Woodruff, and 18 great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held Monday, Oct. 6, 2008 at 11 a.m. at the Elmo Ward Chapel in Elmo, Utah. Friends and family called Oct. 5, 2008 from 6-8 p.m. at Fausett Mortuary in Price, Utah and one hour prior to the service at the church. Interment was in the Orangeville City Cemetery. Services were in the care of Fausett Mortuary.

1 comments:

Annie said...

I love this post. Makes me grateful for my heritage, too, and makes me think that I need to do a much better job making time for my grandparents while they're still around.