Monday, December 15, 2008

Naughty or Nice?


So- This year our Ward decided to do a "Breakfast With Santa" party. Very cute idea in theory- telling everyone to just come in their jammies- but my children were not in the mood to be cute. We don't get up at our house until around 10:30 in the morning (yes- I am blessed with late sleepers- Thank Goodness) and the party started at 9 sharp. First sign of impending doom.
The babes didn't understand why I woke them up so early and were ornery to be shuffled into coats and out the door without their morning milk and snuggles. Dan was ornery as well - since he hates ward parties (where he has to pretend to eat other peoples food)- so he was whining right along with the toddlers. I was just trying to be a cute Mama and get the kids out for some Holiday cheer and another Santa sighting. In hindsight- I should've just pulled the covers up over my head and stayed in bed.
The boys wouldn't eat anything that the Ward had provided, Dan was sulking and I was feeling crummy, frustrated and hot under the collar. Tate decided to go boneless and throw a fit just about the entire time, screaming and crying (yes- we were THAT family) resulting with him hitting his head about a million times on the gym floor. Lovely.

Tuck decided to be extra clingy and wouldn't go anywhere without his "lovey" Geoffrey, who got absolutely filthy and subsequently lost. They wouldn't sit still on the chairs, they didn't enjoy the program and then just decided to sob the entire time we were waiting in line to talk to Santa.

Here's the pictures of the meltdown- Tate kicking and fighting, Tucker whining for his car, Tate making a run for it off the stage and then Tucker's nuclear implosion.

They had been so cute at the Dickens Festival that I was excited to get another shot with St. Nick- but Tate was just plain done and Tuck didn't understand why we had to wait in line. By the time we got up to Santa- Tate just shrieked and fought the pictures (and the poor man posing as Santa) and Tuck began to cry because Santa didn't have a toy car for him. We had told him to ask Santa for something he wanted for Christmas- but apparently Christmas is every day for Tuck. He was devastated that Santa wouldn't give him a car and instead gave him a crummy old Candy Cane and Ornament. (which he proceeded to throw and break) Holiday Memories. Thad- as usual though- was a perfect angel. Have I mentioned that I love this boy?

You can see Tuck here trying to trade his Candy Cane for a Car- The cute Young Women who were dressed as Elves didn't quite know what to do with my monstrous children.

By this time- I was ready to throw myself on the floor with Tate and sob as well- so we made a really graceful exit with me clutching both boys under my arms and stomping out of the church. I was embarrassed, frustrated and disillusioned. This was NOT like the Christmas Specials on T.V. and I am convinced that my children were the worst behaved there and everyone is still wondering who allowed me to reproduce...


**Well- Come to find out- We were all so touchy and irrational because we had the beginnings of a KILLER Flu attack. We have all been puking and fevering and clutching the Saltines ever since Saturday afternoon. Merry Flippin' Christmas.**

4 comments:

Sherion said...

Better luck next year. I'm sorry you are all sick.

Jenn and Mike said...

I hate when all of that happens! And it always seems at the absolute wrong time! Hope you get better.

hecklerwife said...

At least you got your Santa picture with Thad...right?

Heidi Hartley said...

Gotta love these kinds of days! What did we want these little stinkers for?? I needed a good laugh though thanks Hollie. All you can do, after of course, is laugh. I feel for you though. It is the worst to feel like all eyes are on you and you just want to shake your kids and say can't you just be cute and good like you are suppose to. I am so sorry you are sick! I am on my third nasty cold in a row, in the last month and a half. I am so tired of being sick!! I hope you guys get better soon.